Crime

Suspect reportedly indicted on murder charge in connection to death of Syracuse University student

Courtesy of Onondaga County Sheriff's Office

Cameron Isaac was originally charged with murder in the second degree, but that charge has reportedly been upgraded to murder in the first degree.

Cameron Isaac, one of the two men charged with murdering a Syracuse University college student in October, has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge, according to Syracuse.com.

Isaac, 24, of North Syracuse, was previously charged with second-degree murder. According to Syracuse.com, the charge was changed to first-degree murder because Isaac is accused of murdering Xiaopeng “Pippen” Yuan during a robbery. With the new charge, Isaac could face life in prison without chance for parole.

Isaac is accused of meeting the SU student in the Springfield Garden Apartments on Caton Drive before shooting him. Yuan, 23, from Beijing, was a junior studying mathematics at SU.

Ninimbe Mitchell, 20, of North Syracuse, is also accused of participating in the murder and was charged in November with murder in the second degree. Mitchell and Isaac were also charged with robbery in the first degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree in relation to Yuan’s death.

Isaac is also facing a charge of tampering with a witness in the fourth degree. His lawyer, Lance Cimino, is looking to dismiss that charge.