Quentin Hillsman becomes winningest coach in Syracuse women’s basketball history

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

Quentin Hillsman has taken his team to two straight NCAA Tournaments, including an appearance in last year's national championship game. He became the winningest coach in SU history on Thursday.

Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman earned his 230th career win Thursday night, breaking the 23-year program record.

Hillsman entered his 11th season this fall needing only 11 victories to become the all-time winningest coach in team history. (Barbara Jacobs won 229 games from 1979-93.) Hillsman, 46, has led SU to nine consecutive postseason appearances. His teams have won 20 or more games in eight of his 10 seasons, as well as seven straight. SU has made the NCAA tournament in each of the last four seasons and had made the Women’s National Invitation Tournament in the six before.

“It’s very humbling. Very grateful, very fortunate just to be in a place long enough to even approach the record. And to go out and break that record … It’s been great,” Hillsman said. “I’ve had some very good players, good coaches, the administration has been awesome. It’s kind of been a perfect storm for me. Things have lined up well for us. We’ve done a good job and taken advantage of our opportunities here. Our players have been awesome.”

The Orange finished 2015-16 with a 30-8 record en route to an NCAA championship game appearance, a program first. In June, Hillsman signed a multi-year contract extension with SU. Terms were not disclosed.